Invisibly Me

As I reflected on how it is important for those of us that suffer from depression to interact with others, I looked back at my journal and would like to share an entry:  " I decided to suck it up and go listen to Maurice and Keith play at MVie.  I really thought I would go to the restaurant, sit in the back corner, write, and listen to music.( I was hoping to go in and while I wanted my friends to see that I was there to support them, I really just wanted to be invisible)  As I entered the restaurant, I walked in to be greeted by a room FULL of people.  My heart started racing and I had to breathe and clam myself down and smile and converse with several people. After the set, I was still a bit anxious so I got in the car, opened the roof, let down the windows and drove down Lake Shore until it ended".  I am not sure how many of you have ever had that overwhelming feeling. Many times the steps that we need to take to heal are some of the toughest things for us to do. It is important to develop SUPPORTIVE relationships which can be difficult for us. The key is to take baby steps.  Do a little each day.  Here are some suggestions from the Helpguid.org website:

10 tips for reaching out and building relationships

  • Talk to one person about your feelings.
  • Help someone else by volunteering.
  • Have lunch or coffee with a friend.
  • Ask a loved one to check in with you regularly.
  • Accompany someone to the movies, a concert, or a small get-together.
  • Call or email an old friend.
  • Go for a walk with a workout buddy.
  • Schedule a weekly dinner date.
  • Meet new people by taking a class or joining a club.
  • Confide in a counselor, therapist, or clergy member
We can not continue to live in our shells of being, feeling invisible.  It's time that we walk in the light.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Weather Report

Today I Pray

Work It