But Did You Die?

I'm sure that at least one time in your life, you have experienced being wronged. I mean REALLY being wronged. You feel that the person somehow should pay for what they’ve done or AT THE VERY LEAST apologize for it. Right? Well if you haven't, I have!  I was recently asked how did I get past the feeling of "YOU MUST PAY"!  Now let me be transparent.  I definitely went through moments of thinking of ways they should pay and the satisfaction I would get out of it. I questioned God. "Why do they get to go on with their lives? Why do they get to prosper after doing this to me? Why do they get to...blah blah blah?" I expressed that I didn't think it was fair.  After all, I was hurt, talked about, embarrassed, felt like a failure, etc. Eventually, God said, " I know how this made you feel but you survived".  At first, I felt "Really God? But I survive? Yeah, Barely sir" After some prayer, ok a great deal of prayer, I realize that I was losing my focus on what was important. I realized how much time (even if it was only a minute) I had to remove my focus off them and put it towards God and making Monica a better Monica.  After all, they were going on living their best life and in some instances didn't even realize the hurt they caused. 

Recently, my Apostle, Dr. Mathhew Stevenson III was delivering a message on a similar topic and simply said: "But did you die?" That struck me. I remembered the feeling I have felt of being wrong and how even though it hurt, perhaps in some cases realtered my life, direction, etc, but "Did I Die?  After shifting my focus, I learned more about me, God, and some of the changes were actually positive ones that made Monica a better Monica. I don't' believe that God allows us to go through disappointments, hurts, etc just for his entertainment. I believe that God allows us to go through certain things to build, strengthen, develop us and our faith IN HIM. Let's be clear, forgiving others can be tough ! Especially when they aren't apologetic. As I write this, I'm reminded of a post I made that said "Forgiving someone, isn't about trusting THEM! It's about trusting HIM and freeing YOU". I use to want to hear the "I'm sorry". I wanted them to feel the hurt and pain I felt. But once I learned to TOTALLY release the focus off them, I became free. God taught me to pray for those that hurt me. Freedom really is a choice.  You can chose to be bound and controlled by feelings of revenge and restitution, or you can chose to walk in freedom.  I came out stronger once I took my focus off of THEM and put it on HIM. So the next time someone does you wrong, forgive (Yes even before the apology), take a deep breathe and see it as an opportunity to grow. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Weather Report

Today I Pray

Work It